1/6/09

The end of the world as we know it?



Could it happen soon?

A co-worker of mine recently brought up the apocalypse, and said that the way things are going nowadays, they are strong signs that the second coming of Christ is near.

Then I drove home that night, and heard nearly the same thing on a "non-denominational" AM radio station. That the signs of the times are upon us, that all of the catastrophe in the world is adding up to something big.

This must be happening. If you'll allow me to play tent preacher, I give you Revelation 7:1. "When the first one blew his trumpet, there came hail and fire mixed with blood, which was hurled down to the earth. A third of the land was burned up, along with a third of the trees and all green grass."

Just the other day over the police scanner, there were a few grass fires. Yep, the hour of God's judgement is truly upon us.

But am I missing out? Is my little Catholic church at fault for never mentioning this at Mass? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Christian who isn't worried about rapture, or whatever silly nonsense those "Left Behind" books fill our heads with.

I think we Christians pay way too much attention on the end times, living as if today (and the non-christians around us) doesn't matter, and throwing out all of our cares in this life in anticipation of the bus ride into heaven. Check out Jesus' words to the contrary in Matthew 6:34.

"Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil." (New American Bible).



Looks like Christ and the Grass Roots have something in common.

When I was a child, probably 2nd grade, there was a man at First Baptist Church in Millington, Tenn. named Chip. At that time, I was really into the book of Revelation. Fires, trumpets, beasts, pretty cool stuff when you're a kid (and still is). I would share this excitement with Chip, but he had other ideas. Instead of encouraging me to read Revelation, he encouraged me to focus on the book of Proverbs, and to read one each day.

Years later, I can see the rationale behind this move. Whereas Revelation is a confusing book mostly about the end times, Proverbs was a more useful book to a kid growing in faith because of the focus on how to live your life right now.

I'd give the first seven verses of Proverbs to anyone worried about the end times.

"My son, forget not my teaching, keep in mind my commands; For many days, and years of life, and peace, will they bring you. Let not kindness and fidelity leave you; bind them around your neck. Then will you win favor and good esteem before God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the LORD and turn away from evil." (New American Bible)

Do I worry about the end times? Yes. About as much as I worry about what nursing home my kids will shove me into when I'm 80. But as my friend Dan explained to me when I asked him about this months ago, live a life that's pleasing to God, and you won't have to worry about the end times.

I think obeying God's commandments will be much less nerve wracking than trying to pin down a segment of time that may or may not come in our lifetime.

0 comments:

My Twitter feed




    follow me on Twitter


    About This Blog

    A blog for the masses, if by masses you mean myself and family members who probably read this out of pity.

    I'm dustin Faber, the 16-bit Catholic. This blog is an amusing, sometimes thought-provoking look at my life and the world around me. Poetry, cooking recipes, gaming, faith, things that make me go awww, things that make me go grrr, and my obsession with a good glass of root beer can be found here.

    If you're looking for gaming-centered posts, check out catholicvideogamers.blogspot.com. If you seek the blog I keep with my fiance, check out thecatholiclovebirds.blogspot.com

      © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Blogger Blog Templates

    Back to TOP