3/24/11

Lenten Update

OK, so perhaps I should have chose another sacrifice besides no meat/alcohol/caffeine for Lent. It hasn't been that difficult, and it's actually something I've embraced.

Perhaps it's the new, fresh way of living, but it's been a lot of fun actually. A challenge for sure, trying to find things to eat each day that don't contain any meat (fish is ok). And through that challenge, I've discovered a lot of tasty food that doesn't require a dead animal. For instance, peanut butter and honey on cinnamon bread is an AMAZING sandwich. Even a trip to Five Guys, home of the best hamburger ever, was made fun after eating their grilled cheese sandwich.

Alcohol is strangely one thing I don't miss that much. I used to love beer with a passion. But since I've started staying with the in-laws before marriage, an alcohol-free zone, I've adjusted really well. Root beer tastes better anyways. And caffeine? Well, a few weeks ago I had one of those Starbucks Frapp things, and the caffeine overload made me sick.

"I don't ever want to feel this way again," I told Allicia. And while the caffeine in a regular glass of tea or Coca-Cola probably wouldn't make me feel that way, I feel more refreshed after cutting out nearly all caffeine (chocolate excluded).

So in a way, this "sacrifice" I made for Lent has actually been a source of strength. Feeling better after sacrificing for God. Who knew?

Now, I'm not sure if I'll keep the lack of meat out of my diet in the long-term, as I LOVE Thanksgiving turkey, hot wings, and chicken gumbo. But if I never had another drop of alcohol (except for Mass) or caffeine, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

P.S. Since this style of living closely aligns itself to Straight-Edge, I started drawing big X'es on my hands. If you're going to make a sacrifice and a lifestyle change, why not have some fun with it?

1 comments:

Unknown March 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

Like I said on Twitter, I really commend you for this. Now that I think about it, I wish I would've given up snacking as well. Not going out to eat was very difficult for me, but it's something that I can be held accountable for. Not snacking would be all on me. It's funny because before 8th grade I never really knew that people give things up (being that I am Lutheran). However, after attending a Catholic school for for 5 years (and soon will be converting) I find Lent much more fulfilling when I do sacrifice something and give more time to God. :)

My Twitter feed




    follow me on Twitter


    About This Blog

    A blog for the masses, if by masses you mean myself and family members who probably read this out of pity.

    I'm dustin Faber, the 16-bit Catholic. This blog is an amusing, sometimes thought-provoking look at my life and the world around me. Poetry, cooking recipes, gaming, faith, things that make me go awww, things that make me go grrr, and my obsession with a good glass of root beer can be found here.

    If you're looking for gaming-centered posts, check out catholicvideogamers.blogspot.com. If you seek the blog I keep with my fiance, check out thecatholiclovebirds.blogspot.com

      © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Blogger Blog Templates

    Back to TOP