8/9/11

Baby worries, part gazillion

It seems like all I worry about in life is money. It would be a lot easier if this shit grew on trees. Yes, that's a horrible cliche, but where else is money going to grow. In a flower bed? Then you'd have more theft, and nobody likes a thief.

Location of fictitious money aside, the one thing I hope and pray for is the ability for my wife Allicia to be a stay-at-home mom. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a woman (if she wants to), should be able to stay at home to raise her children. Yeah, financial considerations in this lifetime are nuts, forcing most families to work two jobs.

But what happened? Just a few generations ago, a stay-at-home mom was common. What has happened financially to change that?  I'm not sure, but I just know that money shouldn't have this sort of grip on people. Yet here I am, opening this blog with the admission that I worry about money constantly.

No matter how many times I crunch estimated costs, the salary I make now (just shy of $25,000) cannot cover the living expenses. Even if we shaved $100 off rent, knocked our tv package next to nothing (there's no way we can cut tv: I love WWE Monday Night Raw way too much), and cut down debt payments to a bare minimum, it still doesn't seem like enough.

So where does this leave me? I desperately want to give my wife her dream of being a stay-at-home mommy. Job promotions dangling in front of my wide-eyed dreams seem to be a running theme in my life, but work posted some new customer service jobs. Same stuff I do now, but with a salary bump of at least $3,000 a year. If that doesn't pan out, perhaps if I took a second part-time job on the weekends I could make it work.

I know God will provide a way. Our intentions are pure: we want to give our gender-to-be-named child the best possible home life. I'm not begging for more money so I can buy a big-ass tv and every new video game (I would, however, speed up the creation of my arcade cabinet project I've been working on).

Help us God!

3 comments:

Alli Faber August 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

you should cross post this on OUR BLOG.

K T Cat August 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

Hi stopped by your blog after clicking through the link on twitter. It looked interesting until I saw the swearing. It just doesn't work for your site. You come across as someone who is intelligent and thoughtful. And then you swear.

dustin (The 16-bit Catholic) August 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM  

Thank you so much for reading my blog KT. Really appreciate it!

Sorry that you were offended by the occasional swear. I don't use swear words very often, lest they get overused and lose their impact. But sometimes, the word fits the situation. And in this situation, I felt that calling money, which is supposed to be the end-all, be-all of happiness, something derogatory, it shows how I feel about it.

I'm definitely not the only Christian writer who uses the occasional swear. You can even find derogatory terms in the Bible! I do hope you'll continue to give me a look every now and then...the swearing isn't the only thing that probably indicates a lack of intelligence on my behalf :)

God bless you!

My Twitter feed




    follow me on Twitter


    About This Blog

    A blog for the masses, if by masses you mean myself and family members who probably read this out of pity.

    I'm dustin Faber, the 16-bit Catholic. This blog is an amusing, sometimes thought-provoking look at my life and the world around me. Poetry, cooking recipes, gaming, faith, things that make me go awww, things that make me go grrr, and my obsession with a good glass of root beer can be found here.

    If you're looking for gaming-centered posts, check out catholicvideogamers.blogspot.com. If you seek the blog I keep with my fiance, check out thecatholiclovebirds.blogspot.com

      © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Blogger Blog Templates

    Back to TOP