2/5/09

Saving me from myself (and Vanilla Ice)



When I was in first grade, Vanilla Ice's song "Ice Ice Baby" hit the radio.

At the time, Vanilla Ice was one of the most popular acts in town. Most of my elementary school friends were raving about how cool he was, how awesome the music was, and eventually, how cool it was to see him in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sequel.

Naturally I wanted in. This first-grader wanted to be like all of the other kids who were singing Vanilla's praises, but I had an obstacle in my way.

That obstacle? My mother. She was adamantly opposed to her son listening to the filthy lyrics that Vanilla Ice spouted in his music.

I could not bargain with her. So I went through my childhood without ever owning a Vanilla Ice album.

After re-reading those paragraphs, you have no idea how thankful I am for my mother.

Whereas other people in their 20s hang their heads in shame at having enjoyed Vanilla Ice (who soon became a joke a handful of years after his 1990 fame), I can hold my head up high and proudly say that I never listened to Vanilla Ice.

It's nice the way your parents watch out for you. Sometimes you don't understand it, and even get angry because you think you're being jipped by their parenting decisions. Then you look back years later and realize that they were just looking out for your best interests.

In my case, it was my musical taste that my mom was concerned about.

My mother's caring is also a great parallel to the way God watches out for us. I can think of so many instances where God's plans directly contradicted my plans. And while I don't understand his way of thinking at the time, I'll look back months, or even years, later and say, "Wow, I'm glad we didn't do things my way."

That line of thinking usually comes with getting dumped by a girlfriend, feeling depressed, then meeting someone new (and even better than the last train-wreck of a woman).
One of the best passages in the Bible concerning God's ways being better than our own is in Job 38. After Job loses his family and possessions, and starts to question God, God responds in verse 4 with a touch of sarcasm.

"Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding." (Job 38:4, New American Bible).

God very humorously goes on to ask Job where he was during all of the things he was doing before Job's lifetime. And he eventually shows Job that he should have a little more humility when he approaches God.

There are many other instances in history of people thinking they know more than God, and being struck down by their own ignorance. Job's account just happens to be my favorite.
Whether it's my mom telling me I can't listen to really bad "rap" music, or God telling me I can't date this person even though there's no real downside to MY plans, it's nice to have someone in my life who knows a little more than I do.

Especially when it comes to musical taste.

0 comments:

My Twitter feed




    follow me on Twitter


    About This Blog

    A blog for the masses, if by masses you mean myself and family members who probably read this out of pity.

    I'm dustin Faber, the 16-bit Catholic. This blog is an amusing, sometimes thought-provoking look at my life and the world around me. Poetry, cooking recipes, gaming, faith, things that make me go awww, things that make me go grrr, and my obsession with a good glass of root beer can be found here.

    If you're looking for gaming-centered posts, check out catholicvideogamers.blogspot.com. If you seek the blog I keep with my fiance, check out thecatholiclovebirds.blogspot.com

      © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Blogger Blog Templates

    Back to TOP