4/3/11

Wrestlemania 27 picks

It's no secret I love wrestling. I first started following wrestling in the mid-90s, when I was a little boy, Sting was coming out of the rafters, and Shawn Michaels had realize his boyhood dream at Wrestlemania XII.

I've had periods were I lost interest (2002-2004, 2008-early 2010), but I always find myself getting back into it. In the case of the first drought, my college roommate Neal got me watching again, and in 2010, the WWE shifting to PG (and getting rid of the stupid sex-filled storylines) got me interested once again. And given how exciting Monday nights have been, I don't see myself dropping interest any time soon (as my twitter page on Monday nights can attest to). And with performers like CM Punk, John Cena, John Morrison, Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan, how could you lose interest?

Plus, with The Rock and HHH returning this year, my excitement level for Mania is really high this year. Rock-Cena-Miz has been a fun feud, and HHH-Undertaker has been such a great build-up without either guy getting physical with the other. I'll definitely be tweeting during Mania tonight, but here are my predictions for tonight's card.

Keep in mind that I don't have any inside knowledge of backstage dealings, so if I make a prediction that doesn't keep with the rumors that fly around on internet web sites, sorry.

1. Kane, Big Show, Santino Marella and Kofi Kingston vs. The Corre (Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson, Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater. I think there is strength in numbers. Even though it's 4-on-4, The Corre work together better because they've been a team longer. Plus, The Corre are a bunch of dirty cheaters who will find a way to win, legal or not. Wade Barrett pins Big Show for the win.


2. U.S. Championship Match: Champion Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan. Remember when Sheamus was an unstoppable force? Here's where he returns to form. I can see him completely crushing Bryan and using the Mania performance to get back into the WWE title picture.

3. John Morrison, Trish Stratus and Snooki vs. Dolph Ziggler and Lay-Cool. It's Trish Stratus's first match back. That makes me think her team is set to win. No way Trish lets her comeback performance be in vain. And the guys at Bleacher Report made a great point: celebrities never lose at Wrestlemania. However, Snooki is from the TV show Jersey Shore, known for its characters being back-stabbing on occasions. I see her betraying her team and giving Lay-Cool the win.

4. Rey Misterio vs. Cody Rhodes. Since I don't watch Smackdown, I really don't know what kind of build up it's been given. I do know that Rey and Cody are two very talented wrestlers, which should make this a really fun match to watch. I think I give the edge to Misterio though: he's been in the big moments more, and I really don't think it's Rhode's time to shine just yet. Misterio wins this easily.

5. Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole (with special guest referee Stone Cold Steve Austin). Cole is annoying. The most hated guy in the WWE, no question. I think everyone wants to see Lawler absolutely pound Cole into the dirt. And I think he will....eventually. It won't come immediately. Here's how I see this one wrapping up: Cole cheats to win, Stone Cold counts to three, then sees a replay showing Cole cheated. Austin will restart the match, and Lawler will take him out. This way, their feud will continue (Cole screaming in coming weeks about being the real winner). Lawler with the eventual win. And Austin giving everyone, Lawler included, the Stunner.

6. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk. When I think of this match, I keep thinking of Savage vs. Steamboat at Wrestlemania III. Hogan vs. Andre was the headline match, but Savage-Steamboat was my favorite match from that card (and I'm not alone in that feeling). I think Cena-Miz is the big attention-getting match on the card, but Orton and Punk will put on an early-contender for Match of the year. I think Orton gets the win here. He's punted every member of Nexus in the head. Tonight, he'll do the same to their leader.

7. Undertaker vs. HHH. It's The Undertaker's streak vs. The Cerebral Assassin! If you are unaware, Undertaker has won 18 Wrestlemania matches in a row. Never been defeated. Has even beaten HHH in one of those matches. If you read the blogs, NOBODY is giving Hunter Hearst Helmsley a chance at winning and ending the streak tonight. However, I think it will happen tonight. It's no holds barred, so expect HHH to use a sledgehammer at some point on his way to a bloody win.

8. World Heavyweight Title Match: Champion Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio. Everytime Alberto Del Rio smiles, you know there's something special about the guy. Whenever he wrestles, you know there's something absolutely great about the guy. A fantastic wrestler, great personality, Royal Rumble winner. There's no question he wins tonight, but I think he'll have some help from Edge's friend Christian, who will turn on him during this bout.

9. WWE Championship Match: Champion Miz vs. John Cena. I feel like I should put The Rock's name in that card listing, since he's been such a big part of this buildup. But since he's the host, I really don't see him wrestling. Plus, if he was, WWE would have promoted his presence in the actual match. I don't think The Rock will interfere in this match. However, I do think that The Miz will pin Cena cleanly, and The Rock will wait until the match is over with before giving Cena payback for giving him the Attitude Adjustment on Monday night. I will go out on a limb and say that Cena will start a heel turn during the match against The Miz tonight, making The Rock a true face in an upcoming feud with Cena.

Those are my predictions. As far as nit-picks about the event, I really wish that Money in the Bank was still part of the event. And since it's Wrestlemania, all of the title belts should be defended (Wade Barrett should be defending the belt, not being a part of a tag-team title).

I hope you are ordering the pay-per-view tonight to enjoy the Super Bowl of wrestling. Follow me on twitter during the event for my thoughts as the action unfolds. And wherever you are, enjoy the event safely.

And to ESPN: If you are going to ignore Wrestlemania this year, please do not report on any negative wrestling stories. If you only report on the bad stuff, it shows an ugly bias. Thanks!

0 comments:

My Twitter feed




    follow me on Twitter


    About This Blog

    A blog for the masses, if by masses you mean myself and family members who probably read this out of pity.

    I'm dustin Faber, the 16-bit Catholic. This blog is an amusing, sometimes thought-provoking look at my life and the world around me. Poetry, cooking recipes, gaming, faith, things that make me go awww, things that make me go grrr, and my obsession with a good glass of root beer can be found here.

    If you're looking for gaming-centered posts, check out catholicvideogamers.blogspot.com. If you seek the blog I keep with my fiance, check out thecatholiclovebirds.blogspot.com

      © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Blogger Blog Templates

    Back to TOP